JellyPages.com

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Students cast their ballots






















Vanguard students cast their votes for political leaders today in homemade booths. An overwhelming victory for Obama shook the halls at school this afternoon. Amy O’Neill and Tom Heldmann, two staff members, put together this outlet so that the students voices could be heard. “It’s always fun to see what the kids think,” said Heldmann.
The War on Terror affects many. Students and staff alike took it into consideration as they cast their votes. “Our troops are dying. If Obama wins the election, he will bring an end to this war,” said Izzy Pasillas.
Kelsey Costello added that she voted for Obama because “Obama wants to end the war and McCain wants to keep it going.”
Some students have friends and family currently serving in the military. Sarah Jackson said "I miss my boyfriend and want him to come home safely.”
The economy plays a major part in voting. Some say that the economy has not been this bad since the Great Depression. Among some of those who have suffered financial loss are participants in the stock market, the housing market, and businesses that have gone bankrupt. Unemployment has risen and manufacturing is down, which has discouraged many.
“I come from a middle class family and I feel its time for the government to help the people who actually need help. I am a single mom and I want my son to grow up in a good economy,” said Liz Ojeda.
Dawn Garcia, a Vanguard teacher, said, “As far as the economy goes, I believe that I as well as my family and friends will fare better with Barack Obama in office."
Joe Impastato, instructional assistant, said, “I personally believe Obama is a better candidate. I believe if he wins, politics will be a better place when I have kids.”
Freedom of and from religion is important to so many people, and often in politics it influences leaders' decisions . “Religion has no place in government, I believe. Lately decisions have been made on the base of Christianity. I believe a woman has the right to choose. Obama is pro-choice so I support the lesser of two evils,” said a Vanguard teacher.
Many say that Barack Obama is young and inexperienced, but to so many he represents real change for our country. “I support Obama because he is a minority and so am I,” said Krystal Vargas. It is said Obama not only brings brilliance to the table but also his diversity. If he wins the election he will be the first black president in American History. The students of Vanguard have spoken and Barack Obama won the school election.
No matter the outcome of the real elections we hope for the best. As corny as it sounds, whether we like it or not, change is coming,” said Morgan Sedano.

Vanguard Election Results:

President: Barack Obama won with 80% of the vote.

State Senator: Susan Garrett won 100% of the vote.

U.S. Senator: Dick Durbin won with 50% of the vote.

State Representive: Elanie Kritz won with 60.8% of the vote.

Congress: Dan Seals won with 82% of the vote.


Photos: Pumpkins sculpted last week show the political spirit of Vipers.
Art Tarnowski and Brian Thompson cast their votes as election judges Sarah Jackson, Liz Ojeda and Scott Caruthers work to keep the election fair and secure.

Story By Jaclyn Cimarusti

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another well written article. Keep up the great work. TK

Megan :) said...

Jackie, you are my hero. You are such an amazing person and you are going to be such a successful writer!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!

RevoltingBlob said...

This oldtimer loves his pumpkin pie with a big old scoop of whipped cream on it. Brings a smile to this sad old man'd life! It's worth it's weight in gold!