JellyPages.com

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Devil's Lake





On a cold stormy night three fine fellows played a round of cards. Keep in mind Egyptian War is most certainly not the game to play in hushed tones. Truth to tell the combination of crickets chirping, the rain drip dropping, and the constant fear of a raccoon break in is a hearty recipe for staying awake. And that’s not saying anything about the cold. You’re camping when you find your sleeping bag unable to zip and then simultaneously loose feeling in your fingers and toes.

The second camping trip of this school year went underway as of Wednesday October 24, 2008. There is a tradition of making a cohesive group effort to make the most random unthinkable sentence possible. Like, “Devils ladies split personality disorder ruins picnics whenever I eat the kangaroo babies rotten corpses”. If you put some thought into the concept though it’s a great way to check attendance. Since each camper put in one word if someone is missing you know.

As painful as it sounds the trip going there was a good three hours worth of boredom, to put it nicely. With about two and a half feet of breathing space between you and the next smelly dude the lack of technology made it all bittersweet.

The Vanguard camping trip is not just your average field trip to the local zoo. The lack of bathing, the raccoon’s that seemed to stalk the tents, and the food shortages didn’t seem to bother anyone. It’s safe to say that even at the beginning everyone felt like they were apart of something bigger.

The sleeping experience was interesting (that’s if you even want to call it sleeping.) Freezing accompanied by your tent mates snoring can bring about the admiration of Eskimo’s. Staying up can help you realize how pure camping is but I think everyone yearned for some shut-eye.

"Rock climbing was a major part of the camping trip," said Patrick Kain. If you’re thinking about your average amusement park rock-climbing wall you’re sadly mistaken. It’s definitely a thrill that’s impossible to duplicate. These rocks are formations of stone that will always shape the flow of tourism at Devil’s Lake. Devils Lake is one of the most visited national landmarks in America. Now that’s deep.

Waking up early marked the end of something unforgettable and signaled the long ride home was here at last. “With the music blasting, cards sprawled all over the floor, and everyone passed out it was a great ending to the trip," said Jackie Cimarusti.

Story By: Kevin Bazarek
Picture's Courtesy of Vanguard School

6 comments:

RevoltingBlob said...

You kids look like you're having a great time up in the old great north. If this old man's legs still worked I would be up there too. Enjoy it while you're young. The world's your oyster!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Revolting Blob,

Sir, you remind me of a teacher of mine, and I would wish to inquire the very way in which you discovered our school's petite blog.

It's not everyday that the Vanguardian seemingly has a fanclub, and I can't remember a time when a 62 year old man that calls himself something grotesque is a visitor to a site such as this.

Good day, Mr. Koralik.

- Kevin Bazarek

RevoltingBlob said...

Young man, Thank you for your inquiry! The grotesque name I can not explain except to say I am who I am or who the world makes me out to be. If I remind you of a teacher I can only take that as a compliment. Teacher is an honored name and to the one who respects or reveres his teacher I say "well done".

To answer your question as to how I found this "petite blog" I say I am one who has discovered surfing in my old age and am continually surprised at the worlds I find. I firmly believe that great ideas come from "petite places".

Kevin Bazarek said...

Since I find you somewhat interesting and quite the connoisseur, I think this constitutes for my commenting of an article I wrote, haha.

May I ask what you think of the Vanguardian?

I wouldn't ask of flattery, just the simple truth, and nothing less.

-Kevin Bazarek

RevoltingBlob said...

Thank You, young man, for your interest in me. Sometimes an old man gets left behind as the train of time moves on. As someone who breathed the passion of writing, I can say "The Truth Shall Set You Free". Good writing takes risks as you are no doubt discovering. Yes, I enjoy the Vanguardian and look forward to your musings. Write on and "Know Thyself".

Anonymous said...

Awesome group shot! From this angle, you all look like you're standing at the top of the earth's curve!