JellyPages.com

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

We're Almost A Forth Of The Way There

Vanguard is bringing it's first quater under wraps. As we find ourselves with only a little bit over a week left, we can reflect on how the 2012-2013 school year has treated us so far. For some students this quarter was a glimpse of what's to come in the later 75 percent.

For our new students, this quarter exposed them to a whole other world with coming to an entirely new learning environment and trying to adapt to it. These new students will be subject to go through even more alteration as with the end of the quarter comes new classes and for most of them this means moving on from Dr. Oz' to become a full-fledged service learner.

Dr. Oz' PM Group.
Dr. Oz' AM Group.
For returning and veteran Vipers, the quarter brought a bit of change with another altered school-day and longer lunch period and as always, they were greeted back with open arms to our wonderful community.

This quarter we've had tons going on. Our rock climbing camping trip, our annual trip to Sunrise Lake, the introduction of the "Gotcha" cards, the celebration of Banned Book Week, and the inaugural One Book One School reading of The Hobbit are just a few of the few of the milestones we've hit so far as a school and just the first of many to come in the 2012-2013 school year .

Vipers in the wilderness. 
I spoke with two new Vipers and they shared with me how their year has been so far.

"This place definitely went above my expectations. At first I thought it was going to be like a prison and I wasn't going to know anyone, but it's a lot more calm and quiet than home-schools. It's much more close and it gives teachers the ability to help students individually and I feel like that make things go by a lot easier. So far, I'd have to say my favorite experience here at Vanguard had to have been the camping trip. It was really fun and it's one of those things you do with your family like once a year and would never have been able to do at a home-school. This first quarter has flown by and if this keeps up it's gonna be a smooth year for me," said Mikey Panel.

"My first day here was like any first day of school, it was filled with confusion and I was trying to get used to everything. This is nothing I expected, I thought they were gonna be really strict here but it's nothing like that at all. The teachers are each like one us and they're all really cool. I come to school a lot more now so I know this year is going to go by really well,"articulated Erick Chihuahua.

But what is Vanguard without it's established occupants?

"I'm really used to all this now and I don't feel like a new kid anymore. I have a closer relationship with all the teachers and one of the first things I was really excited for was getting to see Ms. G again. This quarter has gone by really fast, I'm doing pretty well with my classes and I love my service sight. I was really glad to come back to Vanguard. I think this year is gonna be really good and I hope to get a lot out of it," declared Cassidy Polk.

"This is my second year here. At first when I got here I thought it was really different in a scary way. This year is really different for me because I know a lot more people than I did when I first arrived, I like know everyone here and the teachers pretty well. This year is going to be way more easier and better for me because now I know how everything works," said Dillon Krull.

We still have a bit more to cover this quarter with our annual pumpkin carving unit to start it's course just in time for halloween, open house this wednesday, October 15th, and the celebration of our spirit week. Other than that it looks like first quater is pretty much ready to close up shop.


Here's to a safe, fun, and academically fulfilling rest of the year!!





By: Eli Martinez

No comments: